Wednesday, November 8, 2017

The Rest of Autumn Holiday








Hello!


We are already a week into November!


The weather still hasn't made up its mind.  It has stayed pretty chilly overall, but it warms up and cools down a lot.  Just yesterday when I walked home from the bus station and was almost sweating in my winter coat, then today when I walked home I was almost shivering!  (Not that I mind.  I like the walk after school.)


Last Thursday and Friday I visited a friend, whose name is Amelia, in Villach.  Villach is near the southern border of Austria in the federal state of Carinthia. 

 

I took a train which was about 4 1/2 hours.  I read a lot.


While I was there, Amelia showed me around and introduced me to some "typical Carithian" things and phrases.  We went and saw the Pyramidenkogel Observation Tower, which is a big tower that you can go up and get a good view of a bunch of Carinthian villages and lakes.  We didn't get the chance to go up it, but where it sits is still pretty high so we got a pretty nice view!


Pyramidenkogel Observation Tower




 We also went on a bike ride/walk to an old, broken up road that dates back to the times of the Romans. 






Something that's cool about this is that you can see where the wagon/chariot wheels dug into the road.








We also played a bunch of card games and did some baking.  I'm glad I got the chance to go out there!


The rest of the weekend was pretty calm and we didn't do too much.  I did do some baking with my oldest host brother.  I'm still getting used to baking in grams instead of cups.  Though, it is nice because you can just put the bowl on a scale and set the weight to 0g each time you add a new ingredient.


School has started up again after our week and a half off.  It just continues as normal.  Next Wednesday we don't have school because of St. Leopold's Day, which is a holiday celebrated in Lower Austria and Vienna.



I have my first German test tomorrow!  German grammar is so confusing, but our teacher is really helpful and so sweet.  I don't get grades in school out here, but I still want to try my best and do well.


  I really don't have much more to say, so I guess that's all!


Tune in next week for another episode of:  Cora's Adventures in Austria!

Thanks for reading!!








No comments:

Post a Comment