Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Start of the Christmas Season

Hello!


My apologies for not posting a blog last week.  It was a very slow week and nothing much happened, on top of that I was really tired and didn't think I could write a good post.


I'll just have to write for two weeks this time!


Last week, I spend Thanksgiving in Vienna with a friend.  We walked around the big Christmas market in Vienna.  Since Thanksgiving isn't celebrated out here, I was able to get a head start on the Christmas season.


We got our first snowfall of the season last Thursday (November 30th)!!!  It was quite magical being able to wake up to snow falling.  




It was also warm enough that the snow was perfect for snowman building!  So of course, my host brothers and I build a snowman.





I think the snowfall really started up the Christmas spirit, at least for me.  


This past week we made some gingerbread cookies!







The dough had already been made, but I think we all really enjoyed just cutting out (and of course eating) the cookies.


Today (December 6th) is the day of Saint Nicholas' Day.  Saint Nicholas is somewhat like America's Santa Claus.  He has a book that he checks to see if children were good or not throughout the year and he brings the good children gifts.  




There is also Krampus, who comes and takes away the bad children.  Thankfully, Krampus did not come to our house this year.


The celebration of St. Nicholas differs from country to country and possibly region to region.  For us, he came and read what good things my host brothers had done this year and gave us each a little bag of goodies.  I think my host brothers were all very excited, I don't think they stopped smiling the whole time he was here!  


This past Saturday makes 3/5 months of my exchange here in Austria.  It feels both like I have been here forever and that I haven't been here for that long at all.  Its hard to believe that I have less than 2 months left now.  I hope to make the most of it.


I go to Vienna a lot, especially with friends.  It is so nice living so close to such a big city.  A lot of times, the trips I take with my friends start out as little shopping trips and we end up in a part of Vienna we had never seen before.  I think I have discovered some of the prettiest sights, coolest stores, and nicest cafes just wandering than I have actually planning out where to go.  


I also love going to the Christmas markets in Vienna.  It is so pretty and there are so many opportunities to try "typical Austrian" foods and drinks.


Well, that is all I have for this week!


Thanks for reading!










No comments:

Post a Comment