Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Exploring and Learning

Guten Tag!

Quick fun German lesson before I go on:

Good day - Guten Tag (Goo-ten Tah-g)
Austria - Österreich (Oo-stair-eye-h)
Vienna - Wien (Veen)
German - Deutsche (Doy-ch)

I hope those pronunciation things make sense (:

This week has been pretty chill and not a whole lot has happened.  I think I've gotten into routines at home and at school and now have more of an understanding of whats going on.

I did, however, make my first trip to Wien!  I didn't see too much.  I went there for a German course and I was able to see Wien from the subway station to the office where the course was, which was only a few blocks.  Though, as far as I did see, it is beautiful!  
I took a train to get from where I live to Wien, then a subway (or "the underground" as it is called here) to get to a bus stop, and then a bus from the underground station to the office where the German course was.  I went on my own, which was a bit scary but still fun!  It was like the same chaos you get in a big city except no cellular data and everything is in a different language.  I only ended up getting on the wrong train once!  Don't worry, I eventually got to Wien. (;  I also met another exchange student from Italy during the course who is studying in Austria through the same program that I am!

I just started going to a lower-level German class in school with the other exchange students (there are 4 of us altogether).  The other students in the class are around 10 years old and are learning basic German grammar so we fit right in.  It has been so cool meeting other exchange students.  We all come from different places but we all have the common ground of being an exchange student in Austria, and we all share similar struggles with learning the language and being at a new school.  


Being out here has really made me more appreciative of cultural differences.  I've been able to bond with other students in my class through learning and sharing about our differences and finding similarities.  Whenever I ask, they seem excited to tell me about Austria/Österreich and to teach me German. 
I've learned so much and I also have so much to learn!

Well, thats all I have for this week.

Thanks for reading!

By the way, here's some cool candy I found at the train station vending machine:
  

Don't worry, there's no actual wine in them (:



1 comment:

  1. Well, that must have been exciting!! I call them scenic routs when I get lost, but at least I have English speaking people to helping me out. The candy does look yummy! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete