Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Castle and Knödel






Hello!

I hope your week is going well so far!

On Saturday, we went to Dürnstein.  Dürnstein is a small town that sits along the Danube and has the ruins of the Burgruine Dürnstein, which is a castle that overlooked the town.  

We started in Krems and took a boat to Dürnstein.  From there, we climbed up to the ruins.

The first picture is the castle ruins from below and the rest are pictures taken while in the ruins.
































The castle is know for having been the place where Richard the Lionheart was held captive by Leopold V of Austria.   If the name 'Richard the Lionheart' sound familiar, it is probably because he appears in the legends of Robin Hood.

On Saturday, I also got the chance to make french toast and bird's nest (french toast with an egg fried in the middle).  My host family had never had it before and I think they really liked it!  I've only made it maybe twice before but I think I did ok (:

This week at school, everyone, besides the other exchange student and I, are gone for school trips.  So, this week we are in a different class!  As I've mentioned before, we stay with the same people for almost all our classes, so being in a different class gives us the chance to meet some new people!  Don't get me wrong, I love my class, but it is also cool to experience something a little different. 

I think my favorite food out here so far is the different kinds of Knödel (dumplings).  There are some with different kinds of meat in the middle (which I had with sauerkraut last week), some that are just plain, and some with fruit in the middle (which I think is my favorite out of the three).  

You can bet that I'll be learning how to make them (;

That is all I got for this week!

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment