Thursday, October 19, 2017

Lots of Little Adventures

Good day!

I feel like October has really flown by so far.

Last I checked I thought it was still the end of September.

This past week has been fairly eventful and full of a bunch of little adventures and experiences.

Friday I went to Vienna with a friend from school.  I don't remember all that we did, but I do remember that we found a small cafe that has cats in it just walking around.  The cats were so cute but they definitely ruled the place.  They seem to know that people will follow after them to pet them.  

Saturday my host family and I went on a hike with a bunch of families from my oldest host brothers' school.  I was able to make conversation with some of the parents and I also met another person here on exchange from Taiwan.

View from a place we stopped on our hike


Sunday morning we went to Vienna by train.  We got some roasted chestnuts from a small shop and walked past the Schönbrunn Palace on our way to the zoo.  The palace was quite beautiful, though I didn't take any pictures because I was too busy staring at it while also eating the chestnuts.  The zoo was also very nice and fun!  Part of the zoo was a big circle with a restaurant in the middle and with the exhibits as the border.

We got back from Vienna late afternoon and later went to a jazz concert.  They played a lot of Frank Sinatra and the two vocalists and band were amazing.

Tuesday left me pretty emotionally exhausted.  Our class and one other class from school went on a trip to the former concentration camp Mauthausen.  We toured around and in the former camp and saw the memorials, where soldiers spent free time, where the prisoners worked, where the prisoners lived, and where prisoners were killed.  We had a tour guide that gave us a tour spoken in German.  The teacher who was with us and a friend of mine helped translate for me.

It is one thing to learn about the Holocaust in schools and hear about it from time to time, but it really hits you when you're actually inside the former concentration camp and can look right into the gas chambers where so many people were killed.

Standing in the middle of the concentration camp

I'm glad that I have friends here to talk through the trip with.  It was a lot to process.


On a bit of a lighter note, during the bus ride back we passed by a couple buildings for a company called OBI.  I had to take pictures of the signs and I almost immediately sent them to my brother. 



I think he appreciated it.

Yesterday I got the chance to go to Vienna with another friend from school.  We spent most of the time just walking around the center.  
She also got me some Sacher Torte from the Sacher Cafe in Vienna.  It was SO good and I understand why she wanted me to try it so bad.





Yes, it tasted as fancy as it looks.



Overall, it was a good week!

Thanks for reading!

Until next week!!!









No comments:

Post a Comment